In 1843 the Opera House in Unter den Linden burnt to its foundation. This incident led to the founding of the Berlin fire brigade. In the following decades many fire stations were created and on November 26, 1883, the first fire brigade went on call in Oderberger Straße; the oldest still on duty today.
As one of the first buildings erected on the street, the fire station was reconverted with blocks of flats on both sides of Oderberger Straße. In the beginning a fire brigade was made up of three carriages: the hand pump, a carriage for the firemen and one for the water tank. The carriages were drawn by white horses, which quickly earned the team the nickname “the white department”.
After World War One the horses were gradually replaced with electric cars and since 1937 also with increasingly powerful diesel-fuelled vehicles.
Please go further now and cross Kastanienallee. After 350 m you will stand in front of the Neo-Renaissance public swimming pool (Oderberger Straße 57/59).